*Note on the use of the word Christmas: I try to use as many words as I can to capture and make available as much information as possible. Not everyone is going to know all the terms for something so I try and make sure I think of all the alternatives. At the same time I am also working very hard to be respectful and aware of as many holidays, cultures, preferences, etc. as I can to acknowledge everyone and make you feel seen, heard and respected. Please feel free to contact me with more information, corrections and ideas. Thank you.
Recycle what can’t be reused
Learn what can be recycled and how to properly do so. Much of what is below is cut and pasted from the ARR December newsletter.
- Cardboard boxes, paper envelopes, newspaper, wrapping paper (that is free of foil and glitter), brown paper wrap and stuffing can be recycled in your blue recycling cart. If you have more than what will fit in your cart, place additional recyclables in a cardboard box or a reusable container next to your cart. Extra recycling will be collected at no charge. If you find that you often have extra recyclables and would like to request an additional blue cart, free of charge, call 512-494-9400.
- Wrapping paper with foil or glitter cannot be recycled and must be placed in the trash.
- Ribbons that can’t be reused (can you tape them down next year?) go in the trash, not recycling. They will tangle the sorting machines.
- Stretchy plastic film can be recycled, but not in your blue cart because they jam up the sorting machines at recycling facilities. Items like plastic bags, bubble wrap, and air pockets must be dropped off for recycling.
- Styrofoam is not accepted in your blue cart but can be dropped off for recycling when the center reopens for appointments.
- Please do not throw the entire box of packaging as-in into the recycling cart. That will be pulled off the sorting line and trashed. Please separate the foam, cardboard, plastic, twist ties, etc. into their separate components.
Amazon gift wrap (these blue and green bags with ribbons that come in several shapes and sizes) is a plastic material. However the bag is not plastic wrap/film so these bags should be handled gently and reused. Amazon bags are not currently recyclable. You can cut off the tag to reuse the bag.
- Please remove all decorations and stands from trees.
- Trees with flocking (artificial snow) or icicles are not accepted.
- Set out your tree by 6:30 a.m. on your composting or yard trimmings collection day.
- Trees over six feet should be cut in half. I can lend you a saw or ask your neighbors.
- Do not place tree in a plastic bag.
Holiday Tree Drop-off
Drop off is between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates:
- Saturday, January 2, 2021
- Sunday, January 3, 2021
- Saturday, January 9, 2021
- Sunday, January 10, 2021
Get free mulch
Trees collected at Zilker Park will be turned into mulch, and will be available for free on a first-come, first-served basis beginning January 14, 2020 at 9 a.m. (date and time subject to change due to weather). Please wear your mask or face covering and bring your own tools and storage containers for loading and transporting the mulch.
More information and details are at http://austintexas.gov/treerecycling.