Here is the information shared about where, when and how to recycle Christmas trees and Christmas lights in Central Texas this holiday season.
The City of Austin’s website for Christmas Tree Recycling is http://www.austintexas.gov/department/christmas-tree-recycling.
Details below are from Austin EcoNetwork’s EcoNews 12/19/19 and Austin Resource Recovery’s site:
If you’re an Austin Resource Recovery curbside customer, all you have to do is put your tree out on the curb on your regular pickup day beginning December 26, 2019. Just remember to remove all the decorations, lights and stands. Trees over 6 feet tall should be cut in half.
Curbside customer Christmas trees are taken to be ground up and re-purposed into Dillo Dirt. More information and the list of vendors who sell Dillo Dirt are available here.
If you’re not a curbside customer, you can bring your Christmas tree to Zilker Park to be recycled. Trees will be accepted from 10am to 2pm on
– December 28th
– December 29th
– January 4th
– January 5th
All of the trees that are collected will be turned into mulch and be made available to Austinites for free on a first-come, first-served basis beginning January 16th at 9am at Zilker Park.
Volunteer shifts will be from 10am – 12pm or 12pm – 2pm each day of the Zilker event. ARR suggests that you dress according to the weather and bring a water bottle and a pair of work gloves if you have them available. ARR will provide T-shirts, snacks, and warm drinks for volunteers. This year, the age limit on volunteers is 18 and above. RSVP to volunteer by contacting Meredith Gauthier at email@example.com with your desired shift date and time.
Alternative Drop-Off Locations
Free Drop-Off Locations
Tree will be accepted free of cost at the locations listed below December 26 through January 10. However, a contamination fee will be added to any trees with tags, decorations, and/or plastic remaining.
- TDS Landfill Creedmoor: 3016 FM 1327, Creedmoor, Texas, 78610
- TDS & Garden-Ville Bee Cave: 4001 RR 620 South, Bee Cave, Texas, 78738
- 3219 S IH 35 Round Rock, Texas 78664
- 629 Dalton Lane, Austin, Texas 78742
- 2625 Woodall Dr. Leander, Texas 78613
- 6011 Blue Bluff Rd Austin, Texas 78724
- 4501 FM 620 Austin, TX 78732
- 3614 FM 973 Del Valle, Texas 78617
Drop-Off Locations with a Fee
Locations listed below have varying fees. Call for more information.
Kinser Ranch LLC.
For more information: 512-477-9025
10701 Kinser Lane, Austin, Texas 78736
Austin Wood Recycling
For more information: 512-259-7430
3875 E. Whitestone Blvd., Cedar Park, TX 78613
Good Guys Tree Service
For more information: 512-743-3909
10713 Ranch Rd. 620 North, Austin, TX 78726
Austin Tree Surgeons
Pickup requests only after Jan. 1. Prices start at $25 for pickup and disposal.
For more information: 512-301-4400
150 Pemberton Way, Austin, TX 78737
- West Service Center – 4501 FM 620
- Del Valle Adult Softball Complex – 3614 FM 973
- 1431 Collection Station – 2625 Woodall Dr
- East Service Center – 6011 Blue Bluff
1. Texas Disposal Systems is partnering with the City of Georgetown to set up three special recycling drop-off stations at the following locations:
- City of Georgetown Transfer Station, 250 W.L. Walden Rd
- Georgetown Municipal Complex, 300-1 Industrial Ave.
- Georgetown Public Library, 402 W. Eighth St.
2. The City of Austin’s Recycle and Reuse Drop-Off Center accepts string lights. The drop-off center is located in south Austin and is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm and Saturday from 7am to noon.
You may also like:
Christmas Decorations and Gift Wrap